Advanced

Other countries

Posted by Cova 
Other countries
October 12, 2018 11:07PM
I registered an account over at My3DPros - but had to enter false information in order to do so. There was a drop-down list for Country, but the only item in it was the US, which is not where I live.

While you're at it, the registration form over there also asks for a 'Postal Code', we have those here, but you don't in the US. It's almost like the rest of the world is planned for, but not supported yet.
Re: Other countries
October 16, 2018 09:33PM
Cova,

Currently, because of individual country laws and regs we don't want to jump the gun and find to be operating illegally in other countries. So, unfortunately we are sticking to the US market for now until we can get people that know the local laws, and see there is demand to expand beyond the US Market. It is not so simple unfortunately! I will keep you updated though, feel free to email me at info@3dmusketeers.com with all your information and I will add it to our database so when we open for your country you can get in too!

Thanks,

Mobius

3D Musketeers - 3D Pubs - My 3D Pros
Zcorp 650 - Projet 660 Pro - Fusion 3 F410 - big ass d-bot - Lulzbot Taz 6 - Prusa i3 mk3
X-Carve 1000 cnc
Redsail x700 80w laser
October 18, 2018 05:34AM
Figured it was a legal issue. It's very unfortunate because functionality wise the site would work fine worldwide. Since it's a simple Seller to Buyer ebay-esc type of service.
Maybe a good idea would be to allow people from other countries to sign up to a mailing list so they can be notified if the site becomes available in their area.
This would also help see if there's enough demand.

I also think it'd be cool if the forum was available world wide, that way people from around the world could still give their input if they wanted to, though I could understand how that could get a little sketchy.
October 18, 2018 04:55PM
The forum should be available worldwide, is it not? But yes, legality has be REALLY worried so I would rather take the time and not get sued potentially grinding everything to a halt. Also foreign currency is a bit odd. The hard system here is accepting a ton of different currency and making sure the Pros get paid out in their currency of choice. That system is much more complicated than it sounds, actually all of this is lol. I will work with KNKP and the others to see if we can get a mailing list sign up thingy going.

Zcorp 650 - Projet 660 Pro - Fusion 3 F410 - big ass d-bot - Lulzbot Taz 6 - Prusa i3 mk3
X-Carve 1000 cnc
Redsail x700 80w laser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2018 06:41PM by knkp.
October 22, 2018 11:54PM
Well - like it or not, both sites are available world-wide. I just had to lie on the signup form for My3DPros. Whether or not things function as expected in different locations is another matter (and involves legal) - but availability, well its the internet after all.

A couple of thoughts on the topic:

1. Put all of the countries in the signup drop-down on My3DPro's now. Letting people sign up regardless of location would seem to be an easy way to have a database of interested people rather than trying to keep track of free-form e-mails. And have a notice on the site that placing orders outside of the US is not yet supported. Then when it comes time to open up a second country, it's trivially easy to pick which one should be next (a single DB query will tell you which country has the second-highest count of users after the US), and also to notify all registered users from that country that they are now "active" and can start receiving orders.

2. For the currency problem - just make it someone else's problem. Let people specify the currency that they are charging in as part of their profile, and just charge the clients that much in that currency. PayPal, Credit-Cards, etc. can deal with the actual conversion process.
October 23, 2018 08:29PM
". Put all of the countries in the signup drop-down on My3DPro's now. Letting people sign up regardless of location would seem to be an easy way to have a database of interested people rather than trying to keep track of free-form e-mails. And have a notice on the site that placing orders outside of the US is not yet supported. Then when it comes time to open up a second country, it's trivially easy to pick which one should be next (a single DB query will tell you which country has the second-highest count of users after the US), and also to notify all registered users from that country that they are now "active" and can start receiving orders. "

Not a bad idea, we will discuss it internally to make sure it lines up with development goals and see where that goes.

"For the currency problem - just make it someone else's problem. Let people specify the currency that they are charging in as part of their profile, and just charge the clients that much in that currency. PayPal, Credit-Cards, etc. can deal with the actual conversion process. "

One of the biggest topics in development was what service we wanted to use to protect people's payment information, we are using stripe - a tried and true power-house that even tops paypal when handling these things for a web based business securely. However, to accommodate all the countries it supports requires quite a bit of work with their API (and it is the simplest available), and we must be certain it works correctly before we release it to the public. This and the legal aspect are the two main factor's that we are triple-checking is functional.
January 27, 2019 01:54PM
are there any news worth knowing?

would it be possible to join if:

1) can accept the same terms as if I where in the US?
2) could accept payment in $$?

the only difference for me would be that the address is not in the US

things like providing ID if needed would be a bit different, drivers license is easy, my address would be the tricky part as an electricity bill cant be used
i could get any bill sent to any address. but we do have a goverment issued national health card (universal health care) that have my personal id number on it
drivers license has the same number and hence they can be linked. benefit is that the address on the health card is the one on record with the goverment and i can only have one address
if i have 10 places to stay only one of them is official
January 28, 2019 09:13PM
The issue is not if you could accept US currency, our system can actually take and payout in basically any currency, it is dealing with local laws and regulations. If we violate them we may open ourselves up to penalties, fines, or suits. We want to make sure things go well in the states before taking on the expense of expanding beyond our original territory.

Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have more questions!

X-Carve 1000 cnc
Redsail x700 80w laser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login